Cybersecurity tips for your family and business by Felipe Neto
Saturday, November 30th - Computer Security Day | News
I would like to share this summary that I believe anyone using some form of internet service (basically all of us) should be aware of. It protects us as individuals, our friends and family, and the company you work for. The book is called “The Secret to Cybersecurity: A Simple Plan to Protect Your Family and Business from Cybercrime.” It’s an easy read for everyone. To avoid a lengthy post, I’ve put few bullets of my favorites takeaway to avoid becoming a victim:
1. Free Wi-Fi avoid it if possible. If really necessary, open a VPN to encrypt all your traffic.
2. Schedule a reminder to do a manual backup to an external storage. Unplug it after backup to keep it safe and secured.
3. Don’t connect random USB sticks to your device.
4. Expand security policies to mobile devices:
-Install minimum apps if smart device is also used for business like e-mail
-Keep inventory of remote workers’ smart device connections: routers, switches, door locks, cameras, thermostats, etc.
-Check for default password, firmware updates, delete/remove users with unnecessary privileges.
-Develop a DLP policy for smart devices to mitigate cases of device theft or loss.
5. Have remote workers connect to a guest WLAN to isolate the network used for corporate connection.
6. Have a policy and plan for recovery in case of cyber-attack. Möbius Partners can help.
7. Use different a different password for each login. An encrypted password manager can help you remember the various passwords.
8. Use two-form factor identification. Passwords get compromised, and two-form factor will provide another layer of protection.
9. Do not click on social media e-mails. If you want to accept a new LinkedIn connection, log into LinkedIn and accept from there.
10. Scrutinize e-mails before clicking or replying. If it involves a financial transaction, it is best to call.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out. Click here to find out more about our security offerings.
Senior Solutions Architect